Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pirating at Beach Blitz (Jan 18-22)


What a great week! This was the week that I was asked to speak on Rozzy’s camp. The theme was Pirates and I had decided that I would take the talks that Shelley gave this summer at IAWAH and adapt them for the week. We talked about Daring to “Be Different”, “Stand”, “Believe”, and “Sharing the Dare”. It was a lot of fun and God definitely helped me in my nervousness and presenting.

The week was also filled with many trips to the beach (2 a day to be exact), a surfing lesson (yes I did stand by the end), and many piratey games (BROG pirate style was a favourite by the lot).
The waves were high and the current fast as the kids enjoyed their time at the beach. I think that I’m getting used to the salt water as it didn’t bother me as much when I was swimming with them. The first couple of days though were crazy with the weather that we’ve been having. The surfers were in paradise as they enjoyed the waves and stacked it pretty hard sometimes.

Since it rained for most of the nights we played different games inside. The fave for the kids was Boys vs Girls (I’m beginning to like this game the more that I play). There were many great moves going on that night and many smiling faces as the leaders took the stage for Circle of Life and danced up a storm.

The week ended with Roz, Jono, and I heading to Mikey’s new place to see what he had done to it. It’s a nice little place in Berarwa (3 bedrooms, 2 baths with a lot of yard). After we checked out the house we hurried to see the movie Tangled as it started at 6:50 and we only found this out at 6:30. We made it just in time to see the tail end of the previews. Oh and as we were waiting in line we met up with Rob and planned to catch up with him after our 2 movies. Tangled was AMAZING! I’m thinking my new favourite Disney movie for sure.

We then called Mal (a leader from camp) and met up with him and Rob at a Thai restaurant for dinner (yes Linds I had thai – really it was just chicken but it was at a thai restaurant so that should count).

We then headed back to Mike’s parent’s place at 10pm to figure out what time I had to be at the airport the next day to start my New Zealand adventure. We found out (to Roz and Jono’s dismay) that it was a 7am flight meaning that I had to be there for 6am at the latest. YIKERS! I also needed laundry done as it had been a week on camp and I wouldn’t be finding any laundry while in NZ so we started the clothes at Mike’s and then found out that they didn’t have a drier. Oops. We went next door to see if they had one (the neighbours weren’t home) but it was no dice so we packed up and headed over to Jono’s parent’s place to dry my clothes. What an adventure that was.

After 4 hours of sleep the three of us headed to the airport to check me in for my 3 hour flight to NZ. I was sooooo excited and very tired so it was mainly sleep on the plane (not after I watched a little Anne of Green Gables). The bus tour is gonna be full on so that should keep you busy with reading what’s happening in the week to come.

Kite Flying

Me and my Tiger Kite

Me and the sand pirate my group made

Me and Roz dressed up for the murder mystery

Surf Lessons

Surfers cutting it up in the great surf

No comments:

Post a Comment